Happy Squirrel Appreciation Day! Being a squirrel lover, I couldn’t resist the urge to share a few reasons why you should totally show your neighborhood squirrel a little love. Here are a few fun facts you should know and some of my favorite squirrely snaps from Instagram!
1. Squirrels are actually super sweet, gentle and extremely smart. If you take the time to hang out with your neighborhood squirrel and bring it treats, it will surely become your best pal in no time.
2. Don’t get upset if a squirrel starts to run frantacally in a zig zag pattern on the road. This means, it feels frightened and is trying to escape a predator. It can be terrifying for a little guy to see a giant car coming it’s way so slow down and let is cross safely.
3. Squirrels love to eat all types of nuts and seeds including almonds, peanuts walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc. They also love fruit! Some of their faves are grapes, sliced apples and berries.
4. There are over 200 squirrel species in the world including a flying squirrel and a pygmy squirrel which is super tiny and only 5 inches long!
5. A mamma squirrel usually has about 2-7 babies in her lifetime. Early spring and the end of summer is baby season. Their first few weeks in the world are extremely crucial and they are highly dependent on their mom for survival. If you come across an abandoned squirrel, please call your local animal rescue for help.
6. They use their cute bushy tail in surprising ways. A male squirrel will often do a tail dance to attract a female. If the female likes his move, she will mate with her new lover. A squirrel will also use its tail to keep warm during those chilly winter days. In addition, it will shake its tail to protect its territory and food from other predators or squirrels.
7. Despite what people may say, squirrels do not carry rabies. So don’t be afraid to make friends with these adorable little dudes.
Last but certainly not least, here is a picture of my best pals Squeaky & Queezy. My BF and I rescued these little guys, as mama squirrel was no where to be found and they were in need of care. After a few weeks, we released them back into the wild. It was the best feeling in the world to see these guys running around & climbing up trees. 🙂
I hope you enjoyed this post and have found a new appreciation and love for squirrels.