Grapefruit is in prime season right now, so it’s no wonder that this month is National Grapefruit Month! This tart, tangy citrus fruit is actually a hybrid of sweet orange and the lesser-known pomelo, the world’s largest citrus fruit, which is native to South and Southeast Asia. Grapefruit has a long history of being a favorite amongst dieters for its metabolism-revving properties, but that’s just one of the many health benefits that grapefruit has to offer! Whether you enjoy it for breakfast or as a snack, read on to find out 7 amazing benefits of grapefruit.
1. Boosts the immune system: Grapefruit is high in vitamin C, with half of medium grapefruit providing a whopping 59% of your RDA!
2. Slows aging: The red and pink varieties of grapefruit are high in lycopene, a potent antioxidant that helps to slow the aging process and fight free radicals.
3. Revs your metabolism: Grapefruit contains a compound that helps you lose weight by improving your insulin resistance, which helps prevent the body from storing fat.
4. Combats gum disease: Those high levels of vitamin C come into play again here, promoting healing throughout the body that aids in the repair of gums.
5. Prevents kidney stones: Daily consumption of grapefruit juice has been shown to increase citric acid excretion, which helps decrease the risk of forming calcium oxalate kidney stones.
6. Protects against colon cancer: Grapefruit juice also reduces the risk of colon cancer by helping the body to rid itself of cancer cells while increasing the production of normal, healthy colon cells.
7. Promotes happiness: Research has shown that the scent of citrus can reduce stress, boost energy, and enhance memory and mood, a.k.a. the perfect recipe for happiness!
As you can see, there are plenty of reasons why you should enjoy grapefruit! What’s your favorite way to eat (or drink!) it? Let us know in the comments!