Today is National Brownie Day, a delightfully delicious occasion for chocolate lovers everywhere. Since the holiday season is in full swing, why not indulge in the spirit of giving by gifting someone you know a little something chocolaty?
These layered mason jar holiday brownie mixes are the perfect gift for practically anyone on your list. I used crystal cane sugar, which has a slightly darker color than white sugar, but feel free to use any type you want. All your recipient has to do is dump the mix into a bowl, mix in butter and eggs, and bake!
For each jar you’ll need:
• 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 2 cups white sugar
• 2/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
• ½ cup chocolate chips or nuts
• 1 quart mason jar
• 1 gift tag with instructions (see below)
• Decorative craft ribbon and/or bow
Recipe for gift tag:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9×13” pan.
2. Empty jar into a large mixing bowl and stir to blend.
3. Mix in 1 cup melted butter and 3 eggs. Stir thoroughly.
4. Spread into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
5. Let cool, slice, and enjoy!
Directions for assembly:
1. Begin with a clean, dry mason jar. Mix flour, salt, and baking powder together in a small bowl. Pour into the mason jar (I fashion a funnel out of a piece of paper!) and tamp down with the back of a spoon or the bottom of a spice jar.
2. Layer 1/3 cup of cocoa powder into a jar and tamp down. Then layer 1 cup sugar and tamp down. Repeat once more with remaining cocoa powder and sugar.
3. Pour ½ cup chocolate chips or nuts (or ¼ cup each!) into the top of the jar and secure the lid.
4. Add the decorative ribbon, bow, and gift tag, and get gifting!
Note: the layers will mix if tipped, so be sure to keep them level while transporting.
Gift ‘em to your neighbor, boss, teacher, or friend – who knows, maybe someone will share their brownies with you!