Happy National Blueberry Month! Did you know the US produces over 90% of blueberries in the world? It’s no wonder the US Department of Agriculture devotes the whole month of July to these sweet tasty berries. Blueberries are not only nutritious and low in calories; they are packed with antioxidants that are said to help fight aging, heart disease and even cancer! What’s not to love about that? So in honor of this delightful superfood, we’ve rounded up some delicious blueberry-filled recipes to serve at your next summer party!
Blueberry Pie Bars
Crust and Topping:
1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt (Plain)
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. Lemon Juice
3-4 cups fresh blueberries
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8-inch pan with a nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- For the crust, combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Cut the butter into 1/2-inch pieces and add to flour mixture. Process until the butter is evenly distributed, but the mixture is still crumbly
- Save 1-1/2 cups of the mixture for the topping and set aside. Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- For the filling, whisk the eggs in a large bowl, then add the sugar, sour cream, flour, and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Spoon the filling over the crust and sprinkle the reserved topping mixture evenly over the filling.
- Bake 45 minutes or until top turns golden brown. Cool before cutting and serving.
Blueberry Lime Salsa
2 cups fresh blueberries
10 fresh strawberries
1/2 cup red onion
2 tsp. lime zest
Juice of three limes
2/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 avocado, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine blueberries, strawberries, onion, lime zest, juice and cilantro in a food processor and pulse until the consistency is to your liking.
- If desired, season with salt and pepper
- Mix in chopped avocado and serve!
Blueberry Summer Squash Bread
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup apple sauce
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups plus 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. lemon zest
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups grated summer squash
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, coat two loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest in a mixing bowl. Add the melted butter and applesauce and mix with an electric mixer to combine.
- Add the eggs and beat until the batter is mixed.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl, and beat until just combined into a batter. Gently mix in the grated squash and blueberries.
- Divide batter into the two loaf pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes until cooked through. Remove from oven and when bread is slightly. cooled, remove them from the loaf pans and set them on baking sheet.
- Mix all of the glaze ingredients and microwave 30 seconds at a time until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of each loaf.
- Slice & enjoy!
Red White & Blueberry Salad
4 cups of fresh romaine lettuce
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup fresh strawberries (sliced)
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 tbsp. vinaigrette dressing
- Rinse the lettuce and berries.
- Mix the berries & cheese in with the lettuce.
- Drizzle on the dressing.