Break out your recipe box because today is National Lasagna Day! Celebrate by baking a pan of your favorite lasagna. Invite friends over for a delicious dinner, plus wine. I tried out a traditional recipe from AllRecipes.com, and loved it! See the full recipe after the jump, plus recipes for alternative diets.
Recipe yields 8 servings. You’ll need:
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 pound of Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 (14 ounce) jars marinara sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package of lasagna
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown your choice of meats. Once brown, drain excess grease, stir in ½ cup of warm water, olives, and season: basic, garlic, onion, oregano, and pepper. Simmer for about 15 minutes, be sure to stir frequently. Stir in marinara sauce, and remove from heat.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F
- Spray nonstick spray at the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Cover the bottom of your baking dish with a layer of dry lasagna noodles. Cover dry lasagna noodles with a thin layer of ricotta cheese. Add meat sauce above ricotta cheese spread, and top with a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat this layering process two more times, more if you’d like. Your last layer with have meat and sauce at the top. Save ½ cup of mozzarella cheese for later.
- Bake for 45 minutes, check in on the lasagna by sticking a fork in the pasta. As soon as it’s al dente, sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, and place back in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until cheese melts. Let cool and enjoy!